Maundy


Today didn't start as planned. 

I had trouble waking up. With everything I had to do, my warm, comfy bed seemed preferable to my to do list. Dragging myself out of bed, I thanked God for the day, as I tend to do every morning.

Then the call came. Two words pierced the blurry drudgery of the morning and completely changed things - heart attack. My brother-in-law, my sister's husband, had a heart attack. He's only a few years older than me. Thankfully, he was able to get medical attention quickly, and was in the ICU after having a stent put in when I got the call.

Suddenly the day came into sharp focus. Today. Maundy Thursday. The day when Jesus gathered the chosen few for a Last Supper.

At noon worship, our Pastor's sermon hit hard as he emphasized life's uncertainty and death's unpredictability. This could be the last Meal for any of us. Car accidents, terror attacks, or heart attacks don't tend to announce their impending arrival. 

I spent the day taking lots of deep breaths, saying lots of prayers, and giving thanks for each moment I got to spend with my children, a friend who stopped by for a visit, my husband, and those at worship. 

Today, my heart was filled with gratitude for God's new covenant - His mandatum, from which Maundy is derived; for medical professionals; for recovery from illness; for the ability to serve; for answered prayers; and for my husband, who is not allowed to have a heart attack until he's 113. 

My brother-in-law is doing ok - much better than this morning, according to my sister after visiting him this evening. He may be transferred to the cardiac floor in the morning. 




Comments

Popular Posts