Autistic Allergic [Adventure]

[Adventure 139]

I have a child who was born allergic to the world. They were allergic to detergents, soaps, cleaning products, lotions, adhesives, various foods, topical ointments, and even an additive to many vaccines at the time. 

For obvious reasons, we decided not to vaccinate the child. As they grew up, they grew out of many of the allergies. They were able to eat more foods, we no longer had to wash all their clothes, blankets, etc. separately, and we found products that didn't cause severe skin reactions. Their intolerance of gluten, severe reaction to red food dye, and some other allergies remain.

Then covid-19 invaded our lives, and eventually, a vaccine. That my husband and I and most of our children would get the vaccine was a no-brainer. However, figuring out whether or not to give this vaccine to this particular child required contacting a healthcare professional, doing my own research, and finally feeling comfortable having the child get the vaccine.

On our way, I checked in to see how they were feeling about it. Never having had a vaccine combined with their autistic sensory issues and the prospect of having a reaction, I worried that they were experiencing great anxiety. They responded that they were doing ok. From the back seat a not so helpful older sibling encouraged them not to die. I thanked said sibling for the comforting words. 

The child did great. I did my best not to show my anxiety and not to check on how they were feeling every thirty seconds during the fifteen minute wait after the injection. Besides some arm soreness, they seem to be doing fine the morning after. Their mama is breathing a sigh of relief.

Now to see how the two who got their second dose are doing the day after...

Comments

Popular Posts