[Adventure] Sale

[Adventure 147]

My kids and I did the bulk of the work preparing for a Book and Bake Sale at our church. We sorted, bagged and boxed one hundred thirty nine bags and boxes of books. We created images with the listing of the books for one hundred of the bags and boxes. We figured out a system of contactless delivery to the purchasers. We even baked things for the bake sale. 

The days of sorting were an adventure in and of themselves. We usually treated ourselves to lunch. I always had an iced macchiato on hand. We came across interesting book titles and discovered some materials that needed to be removed from the offerings. Some days we listened to music. Others we chatted and laughed. 

The day of the sale went ok, but the biggest adventure revolved around my need for refreshment.

Going into the third hour of the sale I needed caffeine, so my husband retrieved a new beverage that I wanted to try from the Dunkin' next door to our church. Said beverage had whipped cream and sprinkles on top. I chatted with friends who were in charge of the bake sale, and then stepped to the doorway to slip the straw under my mask and take a sip. What happened next was not expected.

As I sipped the latte, something shot up the straw and into my mouth. For a second I was sure it was some sort of bug or foreign object. After a moment of panic, my brain kicked in and I realized that sprinkles had sunk to the bottom of the cup and that's what had assaulted my mouth. 

Halfway through the beverage, I handed it to my child, telling them the story of how I was now chewing my latte due to the generous amount of sprinkles in the bottom of the cup - and relayed the story of the sprinkle bug. I offered them a taste and then said they could have it or offer it to their older sibling who was downstairs in the church's Fellowship Hall. Upon offering it to said sibling, they announced, "sprinkles, not bugs." 


Comments

Popular Posts