Childhood Things [Adventure]

[Adventure 138]

When I was growing up we had owl lamps in our living room. 

It seems that my mom mentioned liking owls and that somehow escalated into owl lamps being purchased. I loved them, and as a very young child imagined them as guardians of our home.

At my grandparents house lived a stepstool that was used as a seat at the dining table by smallish children who were too big for a highchair, yet too short for a regular chair. I remember feeling so grown up, yet a little sad when I was deemed too grown up to continue sitting in it. 

Also at my grandparents' house was this ceramic dog. It was the size of an actual dog, and it came to life in my imagination, as my sister and I included our canine friend in much of the imaginative play we did at my grandparents' house. It was a faithful pet, a trusty steed, and even one of our doggy siblings or parents when we imagined ourselves to be a dog family. 


And then there was the Christmas gift that I think was just as much for the adults (my Dad, mostly) as it was for the children - the Atari. Many an hour were spent playing Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Frogger, Q*bert, Asteroids, and countless other games. Anyone else remember what was different about playing Q*bert? 

It's amazing how many memories are elicited when looking at photos of these objects - even as something as simple as a stepstool. 

Comments

Popular Posts