The [Adventure] of Rebuilding Confidence

 [Adventure 219]

I feel as if I've been at war with my body lately. I have very little confidence in my ability to hike and the fear of my body shutting down or the pain getting unbearable overwhelms me even thinking about hiking.

My first foray into hiking recently was an incredibly short hike to Sabbaday Falls. 

The next was a short hike at Roaring Brook Nature Center after dropping Austen off for their Mission Adventure (Coming Soon to a Blog Post near you!).


When we got to the point where there were three choices of trail, I chose the middle road - literally and figuratively. A little bit of a hill, a little bit of a longer hike than the short path, but not nearly as long as the longer trail. 

I didn't want to push things. I didn't want to do too much. I didn't want panic to set in because of fear or because of pain. I needed to have an idea of where I was going and how long it would take.

It ended up being the correct decision, not because my body gave out or the pain got to be too much, but because it had been a while since I used a restroom and there wasn't one to use where we were. 

We did take the time to stop and enjoy the fungi and the views along the way.


And perhaps next time I'll choose a longer trail and build my confidence a little more.

Comments

Popular Posts