That [Adventure] Didn't Last Long

 


[Adventure 196]

The Sleeping Alone adventure, that is. 

We all know that things didn't go as planned early in our two weeks at Camp Calumet. A broken airbed and a heatwave had us back and forth to stores and had me too exhausted and hot to do much of anything except curl up with a fan and a good book. 

Being as hot as it was and my pain levels through the roof, I probably didn't enjoy my reading alone in my tent on my queen size airbed as much as I should have. 

The weather changed dramatically, as did my camping circumstances. 

I was beckoned at shortly after 11PM after a cold and rainy day. The two couples and I had been watching movies and such in my tent, and upon returning to their tents at their campsite, one couple discovered that they'd left their tent window unzipped, allowing rain to puddle on their airbed. And part of the other side of the tent was leaky as well. They didn't know what to do.

I advised them to yeet their belongings into the back of my van. While they did that, my daughter and I did our best to put a tarp over the tent to prevent more water from getting in. While the couple vacated their tent, I moved things around in mine so they could take shelter in my tent for the night.

Drenched and freezing cold, I finally got changed and snuggled into the twin bed I'd thankfully left inflated in my tent.

That night went horribly. I couldn't sleep because I was freezing cold and couldn't get warm. I got up to check and adjust the tarp several times during the night. I was up early to fix it again and because I was just too cold to sleep. 

It rained again that day, and the next. The couple remained in my tent until they were forced to vacate Saturday morning, their tent restored to relative dryness and my husband and fifteen year old on their way to move into my tent. 

My time alone was short lived. Instead of the replenishing week I'd envisioned, I spent it going back and forth to stores to meet everyone's needs and wants, doing a ton of laundry, ordering food out because we were all too wet and too tired to cook, attempting sleep in a small and uncomfortable bed, and moving through my days thoroughly exhausted and in excruciating pain.

I needed a vacation from my vacation, which I was hoping would come with the arrival of my husband, who is much better equipped to deal with tarps and leaky tents and a million trips to the store.

Comments

Popular Posts