[Adventure] at 3AM

 

[Adventure 182]

My child's voice woke me at 3AM. 

It wasn't coming from the same room - it was tumbling down the stairs from one of the bedrooms at the top. My initial reaction was irritation as I looked at the time. Didn't they realize it was closer to time to get up than bedtime? 

My irritation quickly melted as my teen's raucous laughter spoke of a combination of joy and sleep deprivation, bringing to mind countless sleepless sleepovers or all-night phone conversations with friends. That they met their friend online and can only hang out with them there is a minor technicality. They weren't doing anything vastly different from what I did as a teen. 

I sent them a text requesting that they quiet down. I don't think they saw it. Eventually they were getting loud enough singing and laughing and talking that I was afraid they'd wake other members of the household, so I went up the stairs to request they quiet down. I don't think they heard me through their laughter, as they seemed a bit surprised when I nudged open the door.

We stared at each other for a minute, as we do, and then I informed them that their volume exceeded the maximum allowable volume for 4AM. They explained they were staying up all night and agreed to quiet down. I was quite impressed when they, in fact, did. If I recall correctly, it usually took several nudgings by my parents for my friends and I to quiet down. 

I'm glad I didn't let my initial irritation inform my actions and took the time to consider what it is to be thirteen. And to remember slumberless nights well-spent. 

Comments

Popular Posts