[Adventures] in Sleeping Alone

[Adventure 193]

I'm not often alone.

Having five children does that to a person. 

I rarely sleep alone. My husband and I have barely been apart in the twenty-five years we've been married. I went to Camp Calumet for four weekend retreats when I was in the School of Lay Ministry, and that's about it. 

The second night our our two week stay at Camp Calumet this year, I slept alone on a queen size airbed in a fairly large tent. My husband had gone home for the week, to return with our fifteen year old on Saturday.

It was strange falling asleep and waking up alone. Not having the reassurance of the presence of my husband in the middle of the night. Not having anyone give me my morning meds and making sure I'm ok. No one to chat with while I procrastinate getting out of bed or as I'm getting ready to sleep. It was lonely.

Nevertheless, it was luxurious! So much space to sprawl out. No one overcuddling in his sleep - seriously, I roll to the side to take a drink of water at night and he snuggles up closer so that I can't roll back to my original position. And he does it in his sleep so it's not like I can just request that he not. No one taking my blanket and insisting it's his - again, in his sleep. No one shouting "hey!" in the middle of the night, making me bolt upright ready to do battle when it's just apparently someone offending my husband in some way in his dream. No one changing position or starting to snore just as I'm drifting off to sleep. 

Maybe it's not so bad after all. 

   

Comments

Popular Posts