Usual [Adventure]

[Adventure 190]

As usual, I woke up super early on our first morning at Camp Calumet. I do every year. I don't know if it's the excitement of the place, the fact that I always inflate the airbed too much or the residual pain from the day of driving and setting up camp, but it's what I usually do. 

As usual, dropping off my child for Resident Camp took longer than we thought it would. This year it was a new process of covid testing, dropping off meds, and awaiting results - and this was the first time they were doing it - so it was to be expected. 

As usual, as I was relaxing post-drop-off, the sounds of many excited campers wafted across the street and into my Family Camp campsite. Not as usual, I nearly cried. 

This was the sound of usual after a year and a half of not usual; after a year and a half of no Resident Camp, social distancing, not hugging or even seeing many friends in person. A year and a half devoid of all the things Camp Calumet is and does for youth. 

Camp may not be back to normal this year, but there is an amazing amount of usual happening. I can hear it from here. 

Comments

Popular Posts