Walk the Walk [Adventure]

[Adventure 212]

Once again this year we're walking and paddling and rolling and crutching and whatevering to help raise money for Camp Calumet in Walk the Walk 2021.

My health and mobility aren't great. My energy is low. But I'm racking up the miles one step at a time. Whether I achieve distance walking from the comfort of my bed to the kitchen and back or going on a hike in the woods or kayaking or rolling in my wheelchair, all that distance adds up. 

I have added mileage walking to and from the bathroom in my house and from my campsite at Calumet to the bathroom (that's the red building straight ahead in the photo)...


acquiring caffeine...

thrift shopping...

doing laundry, grocery shopping, navigating through a hospital for medical testing, searching the house for my cell phone which was in my pocket (at least it recorded the steps!!!), baking, pacing while talking on the phone, and doing all sorts of other things. 

Will I have as many miles as the majority of the other walkers? Absolutely not. But that's ok. Every movement forward helps toward the community's goals. 

I think life is like that, too. Often we look at what we cannot do, cannot be, cannot accomplish or compare ourselves to our wealthier, more successful, more accomplished peers - those who are so many steps ahead of us - and feel bad about our lives. But if we were to look at the big picture - at how we can pool what we can do ...all of our gifts and talents and the myriad ways we're able to share them  ...  with others our community, then we can see the greater impact we can have on the lives of those around us, in our community, even in the world. We are not made to do things alone. We are created to live in community, act as community, and together we can accomplish beautiful things. 

Comments

Popular Posts