Early Morning Kayak [Adventure]

[Adventure 206]

They planned it weeks in advance - and early morning kayaking adventure on our last day at Camp Calumet. Some of the others were on board for this adventure as well ... until 4:30AM rolled around and the others chose sleep and the warmth of their beds. 

Nevertheless, Onyx and I headed to the lake at 5AM as planned. The two of us hoisted the kayaks from their cradles and waded into the water, which was much warmer than we thought it would be. Onyx held my kayak steady as I awkwardly climbed aboard and then they got into their own. Soon we were headed out on to the misty lake.

We spent the first few minutes just enjoying the serenity and the scenery. 

Then things took a turn. Namely, my kayak. For some reason, no matter how appropriately I paddled, every once in a while it would decide that I needed to make a sharp left and turn at least 180 degrees. Perhaps it thought I should be taking in the sunrise, not heading away from it. 

We paddled around for a while with no particular destination in mind. 

As the sun made its way over the treeline, knowing we would need to return to shore soon, as we had family members to wake and two campsites to finish packing up, we headed to shore.

That hour in that sacred space was just what I needed. It was the perfect goodbye (for now) to Camp Calumet. 

Comments

Popular Posts