The [Adventure] That Is Prayer

 

[Adventure 343]

Years ago, when I thought about prayer ... about praying, especially when asked to lead a prayer in a group of people ... I felt intimidated. I didn't know how to pray. I felt like I needed to do it correctly. 

And then I learned that simply saying what's in your heart is enough. 

And so I pray often. I always begin and end with prayers of gratitude and include prayers for others in between ... as well as asking for what I need.

Sometimes all a prayer needs to be is one or two words. Help. Peace. Please. Thank You. 

The words aren't important - what's in your heart is. God knows what you need. A prayer is simply a connection to the divine. A reminder that God is with you.

Thank you for breath. For life. For kindness and compassion and love. For family and friends. For opportunities to share love and laughter with others.

Please be with our New Start evacuee family as they acclimate to life here in the United States, separated from loved ones. Please be with and protect their families still in Afghanistan who continue their humanitarian work despite the dangers. 

Please help me to slow down and be present in this precious time with family and friends, giving them the time and love and attention they deserve.

Thank you for good news, for great joy, for things that challenge us, for perspective. 


Comments

Popular Posts