The [Adventure] in Which We Breathe


[Adventure 348]

I have a tendency to forget to breathe, in every sense of the word.

When I'm stressed or in a lot of pain, I often find that I'm holding my breath - as if the motion of breathing is going to put me over the edge.

When I have a lot to do, I often forget to pause and rest in between tasks - to take a moment to do something I enjoy or to take in what I've accomplished.

And more often than not, I forget to feel free of restraint when I am free of restraint. It's this one that surprised me. 

I have a lot of limitations due to living with chronic illnesses, celiac, and mobility issues. I have a lot of responsibilities and commitments. But I forget that there are few things that I have to do or have to do at any particular time. I often find myself saying or thinking "I can't" when, in fact, I can. I can say yes to taking time out of volunteer work to watch things with my child. I can use mobility devices to help me be free to navigate my errands with more ease. I can make time for hours-long Dungeons & Dragons games with my family. I can take a nap in the afternoon when I need it. I can both be and feel free of restraint - I can create breathing space amidst the chaos of my life to enjoy time with the ones I love and do the things that nourish my soul.

Comments

Popular Posts