The [Adventure] In Which We Listen

[Adventure 349]

As I was driving down the road, I heard the sound of church bells. As I always do, I rolled down my van window and listened. Realizing the bells were ringing out a Christmas hymn, I pulled over so I didn't miss a note. I could have heard the bells as I drove, enjoying the them for as long as my van engine wasn't drowning them out, but I chose instead to listen ... to give them my thoughtful attention.

So often we hear, but don't listen. 

A child or significant other is upset and instead of listening to what they have to say, we have our own agenda. 
A friend comes to us with a problem and instead of listening to their hurt and worry, we offer suggestions on how to fix things.
Someone is sharing a story with us and instead of listening, we're thinking about a related story that we can share.

My favorite sound to hear during the holiday season - or anytime - is the joy in my family's voices as they spend time together. I can hear the words they say, but I need to listen to hear the joy, the kindness, the compassion, the patience, the love.

Comments

Popular Posts