Chronically Preparing [Adventure]

[Adventure 104]

Living with chronic illnesses necessitates many things that I don't give a second thought to, but are definitely not the norm. Most of these things are in the form of preparing for upcoming events or even everyday activities.

For example, all the plans I make are probable, not definite. They are subject to change, to cancellation, or even to going as planned. They are more intentions than plans.

I spend a lot of time making lists, prioritizing what absolutely needs to be done, delegating some things, and perhaps deciding some things just aren't worth the effort or pain. There are usually options for if my arms are working well but my legs aren't or vice versa ... or if my entire body isn't ok. There are things that need to be done asap and those that can wait. 

I spend about an hour a month organizing medications and supplements into pill organizers to ensure I can keep track of what pills I've taken when. 

When packing for a trip, I have a bag dedicated to medications, supplements, medical supplies, my TENS unit, braces, kinetic tape, ice packs, and a heating pad. 

Every time I leave the house I have to decide if I'll need a cane, crutches, or a wheelchair. 

Living which chronic illness takes a ton of preparation, just to get through a normal day. When I'm not doing something, I'm preparing to do something. I think I may actually do more preparing than doing!


Comments

Popular Posts