Appointment with [Adventure]

[Adventure 270]

I've had many medical appointments and have taken my children to many medical appointments as of late ... twenty three in the past month. 

I spent lots of time in waiting rooms and patient rooms, waiting to get into my own appointments, waiting for doctors, and waiting for children to be done with their appointments. I don't really mind the wait, actually. 

I get to read, catch up on facebook, listen to a podcast, or just enjoy the relative silence. 

When I was younger, waiting always bothered me. It made me anxious. I would wonder if they forgot about me. Then I would get in the exam room and wonder if the doctor forgot about me. Time would tick by excruciatingly slowly. By the time the doctor arrived, I'd be an anxious mess.

Now, I enjoy the time. I'm occasionally disappointed when the wait isn't long. I don't get anxious, instead taking the time to relax and think about what it is that I need to convey to the doctor or questions I have for them. I know I am there to address a particular issue, but don't often take the time beforehand to reflect on what exactly my symptoms are or what I'm experiencing. 

Perhaps my many adventures in doctor's offices have prepared me well to navigate the wait. 

Now if I could get through the actual appointments unscathed. But that's an entirely different adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts