Applied [Adventures]


[Adventure 262]

I was describing my youngest child's adventures in learning about the physics of water to someone, who then commented that it was great that I teach applied science. I got a similar comment from another person when describing how my children learned to do math in their heads so rapidly, who praised me for teaching applied mathematics. 

There were two "issues" with these statements. First, I didn't teach my children - they learned on their own because they had an interest in learning. Second, my children learn from real life situations all the time - all their learning is "applied" learning. Why would I teach my child from a book or on a piece of paper when they can learn to manipulate numbers in real world situations or learn about the science of something through exploring it with their own two hands and all their senses? Most of my children are visual and/or kinetic learners, not sit down and be taught something learners. 

They learn by experiencing, experimenting, reading, conversing, watching, and doing. One child learned to read so they could be sure their older siblings weren't cheating at Pokemon. They all learned math via playing card, board, and online games. Monopoly is a great way to learn to use money. Baking is a great way to learn fractions and chemistry and, well, baking. There are so many learning experiences in daily life, that it's difficult to get through a day without learning something.

In speaking with my youngest about learning in general, they commented that they're much more likely to remember something they've experienced and knowledge they've sought out than something they read or heard about, especially if they didn't have interest in it at the time. I agree. All the things I "learned" in school, I had to relearn as an adult when my children showed interest in those things. The things I was interested in an pursued on my own, I retained and could share more organically with my children. 

Both people mentioned that this seemed like a great way to learn. I agreed - unschooling is a wonderful way to learn. 

Comments

Popular Posts