[Adventures] In Fearless Creativity

[Adventure 63]

Growing up I was a bit of a perfectionist. If I wasn't sure if I could do something, anxiety would overwhelm me. I was reluctant to try new things, but spurred on by wanting to belong to a community of people who shared the same interests. 

As a mama to five creative children and "other mom" to a horde of others, I learned the joy of jumping into something even when you have no idea what you're doing and if it will come out as expected. I've witnessed my children not liking the fit or shape of a piece of clothing and grabbing a pair of scissors to make it into something more comfy or fashionable. I've seen them dive into acting, learning instruments, creating art, and trying all sorts of new things without hesitation or planning. I have to admit, this does make my OCD a bit more OCDish, but I take deep breaths and do my best not to interfere or suggest a plan might be in order. 

Over the years I've learned that sometimes .... most times ... the best way to learn to do something is to just go for it. 

Sitting in the foyer at Epoch Arts during a play rehearsal one day, the director invited me in to watch. She asked my input on a few things. Then she asked me if I'd be willing to make a hat or two for the cast. Everything in my brain screamed NOOOOOOOOOOO, but my mouth said yes. I took materials home and, too anxious to sleep, created a couple hats. Presenting them to her the next time I saw her, she was overjoyed and said she looked forward to seeing what other hats I created for the rest of the characters that needed hats. I have to admit, creating the hats was freeing and so much fun. Then I was asked to sew patches on one costume ... and then another. And create elephant ears, and a safety backpack.  The next mainstage production rolled around and the director asked me if I'd once again help with costuming. Costuming? I only made some hats and sewn on some patches! And so I became the second (and not nearly as talented) costume creator for the mainstage productions ... and even some of the mini-productions.

And then one day the pastor of my church and I were talking about doing a camp for kids at our church. Camp turned into music camp turned into my family teaching kids how to play ukuleles - and me helping children be creative in decorating their ukes. Two of my children were up for teaching how to play, but I figured I should learn as well. Three ukuleles and a mandolin later, I'm getting pretty good. And the "Steyer Ukulele Choir" is now playing at outdoor parking lot worship at our church twice a month. 

I've done and created all sorts of beautiful (and strange) things that I never would have before due to the example of fearless creativity my children have set for me.

Comments

Popular Posts