[Adventures] In Saying Inappropriate Things in Inappropriate Places

[Adventure 68]

We talk about just about anything just about anywhere in my family. 

The other day my youngest child and I were in the drug store to purchase hair dye, saltines, and ginger ale. We procured the dye and the ginger ale, but couldn't find saltines. Frustrated, I said "Where's the crackers?" My thirteen year old heard, "Where's the crack?" and questioned what I'd said, saying that they didn't think Walgreens carried crack. My response went something like, "why wouldn't they sell crack - they are a drug store!" said perhaps a little too loudly just as a pharmacist walked by.

And then I took the same child for their annual physical. As we were awaiting the doctor's arrival, I was perusing the Bright Futures handout for 11 through 14 Years and had some questions for my child based on their suggestions. 

I wanted to know the appropriateness of their Healthy Behavior Choices, which started:


"Find fun, safe things to do. Talk with your parents about alcohol and drug use."

I wasn't aware that alcohol and drug use were fun, safe things to do. Perhaps it would have been better to put the third suggestion before the second. 

Then we discussed the "Staying Safe" suggestions, which included "Do not ride in a car with someone who has used alcohol or drugs." My child's response was "Duh!" followed by, "Oh, wait ... sorry, Daddy, even though Mama is driving, I can't get in the car with you because you had a margarita. Doctor's orders."

And, "Fighting and carrying weapons can be dangerous. Talk with your parents, teachers, or doctor about how to avoid these situations." I asked them how they can avoid carrying weapons, as this seems to be of utmost importance. They suggested not picking up any weapons would be a good way to go. 

As we were talking animatedly about such things...and more ... I realized that perhaps we may want to keep our amused comments about what the handout had to say about sex and drugs and more a bit quieter.

It seems like my child is right on track for making appropriate and good choices. I'm not so sure I can say the same about myself.


Comments

Popular Posts