[Adventure] in Sucess

 


[Adventure 77]

People worry a lot about being a success.  I'm not sure what they think success means.

Success looks different for everyone. People define success differently. When you go by the "traditional" definition of success in life, which usually involved making lots of money and getting plenty of recognition for what you do, life can be a depressing experience.

What does success mean to me?

- Being a decent parent. Not a perfect parent. No one wants a perfect parent, really. That's a lot to live up to. I want to be a parent who makes mistakes and apologizes; who finds a balance between fun and function in our household, who respects their children's process while realizing when their child needs some motivation; a parent who isn't afraid to try and to learn new things; a parent who consistently uses semicolons as appropriate. Obviously I often fail at all of these things, but that's good because I want to set the example as a parent that it's ok to fail and to try again and to do and be better. 

- Finding something I love to do and doing it. This may mean making money at it, and it may not. I enjoy making signs. I enjoy costuming and painting and video editing (when my computer and the program cooperate) and playing games with my children. Sometimes your passions translate to your profession and sometimes you work a job to make money to allow you to do the things you love. Your job doesn't define your success. As a disabled person, I can't work, but can still be a success.

- Being kind and helpful. Whether it's just to those around you or to people in need, being both of those things, as far as I'm concerned, make you a success. While I don't always have the funds to help out the people I often encounter asking for help, I always have a smile, a prayer, a wave, and can always stop and say that I wish I could help and hopefully I'll be able to give them a little something next time I see them. 

- Being yourself. Living your life authentically. This is a huge success, which sadly isn't available to many until they are independent adults. 

- Realizing that success looks different every day. Some days I can barely get out of bed. On those days, getting myself to the bathroom and back unaided is a success. Asking for and accepting help is a success. Watching (or listening) to a movie cuddled in bed with a child or taking a nap and/or having raised children who respect when Mama needs some quiet time are all successes.

- Typing the word success correctly more than incorrectly provides great success, especially when your left hand seems to have issue with typing more than one c in a row. 

What I'm not saying is that you have to be and do all of these things in order to be successful. What I am saying is that success isn't one thing.  Success is about where you are and what you are capable of in that moment. Success isn't a destination, a single accomplishment - success is living life as fully and authentically as possible whatever that means for you.


Comments

Popular Posts