[a moment] when words were the greatest gifts

[moment 86]

After a few tense travel moments, things were finally on the right track for my parents' 50th anniversary celebration. We snuck Jen and H into my parents' house at midnight and they set up balloons before heading to bed. The next morning, my sister sat down next to our mom on the couch and Mom said, "You weren't here when we went to bed!" 

Surprise!

My Dad knew that Jen and H were coming. He knew that my children and I were coming over on their anniversary for lunch. What he didn't know was that a couple dozen friends and family members sent messages, cards, and even a couple gifts. 

I took messages received via email and text, printed them out, and put them in anniversary cards. I then wrapped the cards in tissue paper and put them in gift bags. These were then randomly packed into larger bags to transport to my parents' house.

Video messages also arrived in my inbox and were edited into a short video celebration of my parents' fifty years together. 

We had a wonderful lunch and soon decided it was time for gifts. None of us was prepared for what was to come.

Dad picked up the first bag and opened the card. I don't remember who started reading the letter from the Michauds, but only made it a few sentences in before getting choked up and passing the letter to the other. A few sentences later, it was passed back, and so on and so forth in tears and laughter until the beautiful sentiments were done.

It was then I knew a few things for certain - this was the exact card that needed to kick off this celebration; this 50th anniversary celebration was going to be just what my parents needed; and this was going to be quite a rollercoaster! 

Bag after bag, card after card, my parents laughed and cried and paused to fondly recall memories of amazing times with these people who love them and whom they love - the Scheithes driving all the way around the corner to attend my parents' Christmas brunch; the bus ride chaperone experiences with the Naugatuck High School Marching band; church and Calumet and School of Lay Ministry stories; foreign exchange student and refugee resettlement memories, and so much more.

As they read, it was evident that they treasured each word as a great gift. 

Just when they thought all cards and been read and all gifts given, they received the video messages. And then a scrapbook of memories. 

Anniversaries have been difficult during this covidtide. We got to celebrate not fifty, but one hundred years of marriage that day - my sister's 25th and my 25th anniversaries had been celebrated without much fanfare in the two previous years. Love lived out loud that day. 


Comments

Popular Posts