[a moment] of frustration

[moment 73]

I am on medications that suppress my immune system. I have many medical issues. Getting covid, even though I am triple vaccinated, could have dire consequences for me. 

People who know me, know that. Or should, anyway.

So yes, I'm going to remind you that wearing masks is still a necessity for me and people like me, especially my friends with cancer or in remission from cancer and similar illnesses. And that masks still should be worn by you because you presumably want to be around me and your other friends with compromised (or who are lacking) immune systems. Yes, I understand numbers are down. Down is not zero. Covid is still extremely dangerous to many of us.

And I'm going to say no when you invite me to an event where people are packed together in an enclosed space. Or an event where masks aren't required. Or a crowded restaurant. Because I need to keep myself safe.

I'm going to wear a mask in the coffee shop while we sit and chat and then get a coffee to go when we're done socializing. And I don't mind because I'd rather spend time chatting with you than drinking coffee with you. 

Yes, I know the numbers are down. I know the risks are lower for most people. I am not one of those people. I have friends who are not one of those people. 

I am a person who would like the numbers to be and stay low enough where we all no longer need to wear masks - but we're not going to get there if we leave ourselves open to getting even the mildest case.

Thank you for bearing with me through my moment of frustration. 

Comments

Popular Posts