[a moment] of care

[moment 77]

Once a month I go to my rheumatologist's office and hang out with a wonderful nurse and get an infusion of medication to treat my psoriatic arthritis. It's usually just the two of us, so she sits with me for a nice chat. 

She always makes sure I'm comfortable and is an expert at getting the IV into my tiny, short, rolly veins on the first try. And she always reminds me that my left hand is hers - no one else is allowed to use that hand for an IV or blood test unless absolutely necessary.

She takes great care in what she does, to the fact that she folds down a corner of the medical tape holding the gauze over the IV site when we're done so that my arthritic hands don't have to fight to get the end of the tape when it's time to take it off. 

Getting hooked up to an IV for forty-five-ish minutes every month isn't something one normally looks forward to, but I have to admit that I look forward to our little chats and feeling truly cared for. 

Comments

Popular Posts