[a moment] that is both mistake and blessing

[moment 81]

We're going through a lot financially at the moment. And then the time came when I needed to stock up on groceries. Not wanting to go to three different grocery stores to get what I needed due to health and covid-related issues, I decided to order groceries from two different stores and shop at a third (that does not offer home delivery). 

As Onyx and I were shopping at Costco, our Aldi shopper (who was absolutely fantastic) was texting to keep me updated on things and suggest replacements for certain items when my listed replacements also were not available. Our ShopRite order had already been selected and was awaiting delivery. 

As we were about to leave Costco, I got the notification that both stores were on their way to deliver. Onyx called home to make sure my teen and young adult children at home were ready to bring groceries in and put them away, which they were.

Upon our arrival home, my children questioned whether or not we got a bag or two of groceries that didn't belong to us. I soon discovered that all of our ShopRite groceries were actually someone else's. The problem was that my children had put most of the $180 worth of groceries away already - along with the $350 of Aldi groceries. I called ShopRite and they apologized, asked if we'd already taken the groceries inside, and, as we had, the groceries were now ours. For free. Apparently the person whose groceries we'd received had done the same, so she got our $155 worth of groceries for free as well. And ShopRite re-shopped our orders and delivered them to us quickly. 

The gluten eating members of our household got Oreos, bread, crackers, soup, frozen dinners, an apple pie, and donuts thanks to this mistake. Other free items included lots of fruit, sanitary pads, two cases and a six pack of soda, potatoes, milk, half and half, and creamers. 

With everything we've been through lately, this was a wonderful mistake and a huge blessing. It was a moment of levity on a day I was running on emotional empty. 

Comments

Popular Posts