[a moment] of frantic realization

[moment 71]

So we got our rental car a couple weeks ago and I could have sworn when we were going over paperwork, the dude said fifteen days or fourteen days. Two-ish weeks. I even put on my to do list for the 11th that we needed to return the car. 

While waiting to go into a doctor's appointment on the afternoon of the 10th, I was going over to do lists and decided to check on the time by which the car needed to be returned. That's when I noticed the rental was for thirteen days. 13. It was due back that day. My mind raced frantically trying to figure out how the heck we were going to manage to get it back in time.

Now this wouldn't be a huge problem if my husband didn't get out of work until 4:30ish and the rental place closes at 5pm. Or if my appointment, which I was quickly called into wasn't at 3:30PM in the state capitol, meaning I'd be driving home during rush hour. Or if I didn't have to get lab work done immediately after my appointment. Or if I remembered to call the rental place after my appointment instead of forgetting about it until about thirty seconds before my husband called me to ask if there was anything he needed to do on his way home from work. 

So he called the rental place from his work parking lot seven-ish minutes away while I wended my way through backroads in an attempt to get there on time, having abandoned the near standstill on the highway. 

Almost to the rental place, I remembered I needed to return the car with a full tank of gas. I drove past the rental place and to the nearest gas station.

4:51PM: I started pumping gas. Frantically, if that's possible. I mean, the pump was taking its time, but my mind was frantically encouraging it to go faster. 

4:53PM: I saw my husband at the intersection by the gas station.

4:54PM: Why is the pump taking so long?

4:55PM: On my way to the rental place

4:57PM: My husband and I are frantically removing my stuff from the rental car

4:58PM: I rush into the rental place and hand over the keys.

5:00PM: I sign the paperwork and we're on our way home. 

There's nothing like cutting it as close as humanly possible. 


Comments

Popular Posts