Honest [Adventure]

[Adventure 302]

I received a call from my child's therapist's office after I cancelled their appointment. My husband had been diagnosed with covid-19 and we were cancelling everything for two weeks. As I answered the phone, the receptionist asked me how I was doing. I gave the usual "I'm good...how are you?" answer and instead of the usual affirmative response I was expecting, there was a pause and she asked, "How ARE you doing?" 

I nearly burst into tears. Since finding out my husband tested positive for covid, my mind was in diverting disaster mode. I was holding it together as best I could so my children didn't worry too much. I was cancelling or rescheduling appointments, figuring out logistics, attempting to put together a timeline of when he was contagious and when after that I might have been contagious and the people we were in contact with ... and all the things that go with having a family of seven with an infected person in a pandemic. I hadn't stopped to process my own feelings and fears.

Not until that moment. 

The next thirty seconds or so consisted of me admitting that I was not ok and verbally dumping everything that I was dealing with. She listened. She said something to the effect of, "that's a better answer. I hope the rest of you stay healthy and safe. We'll check in next week to see if we can meet with Onyx in person or virtually." 

I took a deep breath and realized I felt a little less stressed. Sometimes giving the honest answer - especially to the therapy office - is the right thing to do.

Comments

Popular Posts