[moments] to overcome: camp day four

[moment 182]

I love kayaking, but because of the weakness on the left side of my body and my other mobility issues, it's difficult for me to get into and out of a traditional kayak. At Camp, I usually use a two person kayak - the kind that sits on top of the water, not the kind you have to climb into. So when there were none of those available when we arrived on the beach to go kayaking, I had a moment of internal panic. And then I decided to walk with my fear and give a "regular" kayak a try. 

Getting in wasn't as bad as I'd expected, but I couldn't quite get comfortable - and with my large frame it was a tight-ish fit. I felt completely unstable and as if I was going to tip over with even the smallest of waves. I was fairly sure this was all going to end badly, but off we went.

When finally the pain in my already destroyed sacroiliac joints became overbearing, we headed back to shore. Now came the impossible part- getting me out of the kayak. Both my legs had fallen asleep, I couldn't push up with or land on my left side, and being pulled up from a sitting position wasn't working. I finally managed to get so that I had one leg out of the kayak and was kneeling on my bad leg, and that worked like a charm. It felt like it took forever, but it was probably just a couple minutes. 

It took a lot to overcome all my fears associated with this new kayaking experience, but I was grateful I was able to feel safe with my children and give it a try.

Later in the day, our friends arrived and set up camp in the campsite next to ours. Onyx immediately wanted to swimming with their friend, so the two of them got changed and F got permission to be kidnapped by my family to go swimming. F is in a wheelchair most of the time and his legs don't work super well, and none of us had any idea how we were going to get him to the water once we got to the beach and the wheelchair could go no further. When we got there, I realized I had a possible solution attached to my arms - and I offered him my crutches. We walked on either side of him while he made his way into the water, learning how to maneuver on crutches as he went. It was wonderful watching him overcome this huge obstacle and have fun with his friends. 


Comments

  1. That is a great remembrance about taking F swimming Good for him and you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts