a goodbye [moment]:camp day seventeen

[moment 195]

We began the day with breakfast from the Conference Center followed by Dungeons and Dragons ... and played until lunchtime. 

The "campers" visited the Pottery Barn to make pottery and gain some random boosts for their characters. One character learned the history and lore behind the lightning patterned scale-like things on their forehead and the mysterious and chaotic powers it gives them. They battled a green jello monster in Lake Bebida. And then they had one final campfire, which led to the singing of "The Other Day I Sprung and Owl" (a great green owl, a way up there ... they licked at me, I licked at them, they shot up me...). 

Then the teens and twenties went off to do things. A few went to the beach. And Onyx and Finnley spent as much time together as possible before Finn had to leave. Saying goodbye was difficult for the two, even though they'll see each other soon. I think they were both grateful to have spent the greater part of a week together, Onyx and Finnley sleeping in their own tent at the Miller's campsite, which adjoins ours. 

I spent the afternoon packing and organizing and getting ready for our last day.

We had dinner with my parents, getting food from from a place that is usually very careful with their gluten free orders, When I opened my salad and then accompanying steak tips, it just about put me over the edge. There were croutons on my salad and my steak tips were atop a piece of toast. I couldn't eat my dinner and I didn't want to have to have any one interrupt our last camp "dinner out" together to get me replacement food. My Dad offered me little coleslaw and baked beans sides, and that was my dinner. 

After they left, I was really struggling. I think it was then that exhaustion and frustration combined with the knowledge that the next day was our last that just sent me spiraling.  I took the kids to the ice cream social and could barely eat any of the ice cream I got. I walked back to the campsite by myself, and collapsed into bed. Everything was hitting me all at once. When my husband came to check on me, we had a very serious discussion abo things that needed to change for my mental and physical health and for our relationship. 

I drifted off to sleep sad that we would be saying goodbye to this place so soon and at the same time looking forward to some of the comforts of home. 

Comments

  1. One of the best parts of going to camp is not being at camp. Still it makes life all that much better next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts