dropping off [moment]: camp day five

 

[moment 183]

They waited anxiously all day for the moment it was time to go.

They were looking forward to just about everything about camp - friends, old and new; fun activities; good food; and all the things that makes Camp Calumet such a welcoming, accepting, loving, faith-filled place. 

After explaining to a counselor about Onyx's dysautonomia and possession of salty snacks and electrolyte drinks ... and their wheelchair use, and their hEDS ... I said goodbye and left Onyx to set up their stuff and acclimate their counselors to their medical complexities and the handling of them. 

I don't know what kind of week they'll have. They could have a very good, active week. They could have issues with episodes of syncope and their legs not working properly. They could dislocate a shoulder or a hip or both. There are myriad possibilities. 

But I don't think about those things. They will do their best to be as healthy as possible and will deal with whatever comes. As they've told me in the past - it's better to have a dislocated shoulder at camp than not be at camp. If there's a major issue, camp will call me. 

I know they have friends at camp. I know Camp Calumet staff is amazing and accepting and supportive. I know they have fabulous nurses. So when I drop off my child at Camp, I drop my worries as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts