True [Adventure]

 

[Adventure 157]

I never know what's going to happen when I walk into the grocery store. 

I run into people I don't see anywhere else or at any other time there - a couple people who live in my town, but whom I only see once a year at the grocery store and once a year at Camp Calumet. There's this one person I run into while food shopping every four years or so and I have no idea where I know her from, what her name is, but she looks familiar and I know she has two kids (who must be young adults by now).  

The other day I was heading toward the gala apples when a woman rushed over to me, complimented me on my mask, asked me where I got it, announced her phenomenal state of lesbian being, and said she needed stuff for Pride like the mask I was wearing. I then told her I got it on amazon and that I, too, have been collecting things for Pride considering I'm pan, I have a transgender daughter with a trans boyfriend, a genderfluid child, a nonbinary child with a lesbian ace girlfriend, a pangender child ... and there are a mixture of sexual orientations among them. 

Her immediate response was that she needed to introduce me to her wife, to whom she called, loudly. In the two minutes that I'd known her, the only thing I could think was that I loved her spirit and her joy. We finally introduced ourselves to each other and I met her wife and she told me we need to get together for coffee. We exchanged numbers and went about our shopping experience.

What she doesn't know is that in the moment that she approached me, I was struggling. I was in incredible amounts of pain and trying not to burst into tears in the produce aisle. Then True got my attention and her aura of joy and love enveloped me. I couldn't help but smile under my rainbow mask. 

Upon telling my children of this wonderful soul, one responded, "I want to go for lesbian coffee!" So now that has to be a thing. Hopefully my anxiety won't get the best of me and I'll text True about getting together for coffee. And hopefully she won't mind a horde of queer teens and twenties tagging along. 

  

Comments

Popular Posts