[Adventure] In Which We Did A Thing

[Adventure 166]

There were a lot of people there. More people in one place than I've been around for over a year. And many of them weren't wearing masks.

I have to admit that my anxiety was high and, even though we were outdoors with a nice breeze, I wasn't comfortable taking off my mask. Besides, the dozens of high school students in band, jazz band, Voices, and concert choir had to wear masks, even when singing or playing instruments, so it felt wrong to not wear a mask.

Plopping down her chair  next to mine, a woman I did not know joined the crowd. My kids scooched their chairs away from her, allowing me to do the same. If I wasn't already so overwhelmed by the number of people, I might have asked the woman to back off, explaining my lowered immune system and having a not fully vaccinated child with me. 

As we settled in and the concert began, I began to relax and enjoy. Memories of my middle and high school concerts flooded in as the musicians played. When my middle child's girlfriend took the stage with the concert choir, I was filled with joy that we could share this final concert of her high school career with her. 

When the final applause dissipated, the realization that I had relaxed into this experience washed over me. That although it didn't feel normal anymore, I could see it becoming normal again. I'm happy for the seniors that they got to have one final concert after a school year and a half of not being safe doing such things. And that outdoor concerts are a thing once more. 

Comments

  1. If it’s any consolation, the woman in this pic works for the CT OEC and is vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts