Restroom [Adventure]


[Adventure 43]

I don't go out of the house except to record things at church, visit my parents, and go to medical appointments. Very occasionally I run an errand or two. Never do I use a public restroom unless absolutely necessary. 

I was recently at the hospital for a greatly needed medical procedure. I'd made the mistake of having a very large macchiato that morning and need to use the restroom before said procedure. I was plenty early for my appointment, so I headed to a restroom which, it turns out, was freshly cleaned - so fresh the person who cleaned it was just opening it back up for use. It was a small restroom with only a couple stalls and was located down a hallway away from the main part of the hospital.

As I was washing my hands, the door opened and a woman walked in. She looked a bit shocked to see me standing there and apologized and turned to leave. I said, both stalls are free ... we're the only ones in here. She stopped and looked at me, genuine fear and anxiety in her eyes. I hoped my smile was evident even though I was wearing a mask. I quickly introduced myself using my pronouns and asked if she'd be more comfortable using the restroom if I stood outside and let other women know it was occupied should anyone happen by. She seemed shocked, introduced herself in kind, and took me up on my offer. 

Upon emerging from the bathroom, she thanked me again for being so kind. I said that it wasn't anything I wouldn't want someone to do for my daughter until she's fully comfortable entering a women's room with confidence. We chatted for a few minutes about my kids - the whole queer horde of them - and about how this is just her third time leaving the comfort of her house as her authentic self. She said she didn't know what to say to let me know how much she appreciated how I'd treated her. I explained that it was just one woman looking out for a another woman - and explained that I sought out this particular restroom because even though I've been using women's rooms my entire life, I still would rather pee alone. Glancing at my phone I realized I needed to get to my appointment and told her I hoped she had a good day. As she turned to leave, I could see a smile reach her eyes. 

"I am now."

(Why do women's room signs still have women with dresses on? Looking at the sign above - I was dressed like the figure on the left and am a woman. The beautiful soul in my story was dressed more closely to the figure on the right. Some would say that I have a right to be in the women's room while the other woman does not, which is utter nonsense. That last sentence was particularly difficult and amusing to type, as I originally used the term fellow woman, which is both what I meant and absolutely not what I meant. I kept utter nonsense, though.)

Comments

Popular Posts