[Adventures] in Giving and Receiving

[Adventure 51]

Occasionally someone crosses my path and I feel called to help out.

Recently I found out that a young woman was having financial difficulties and was out of one of her medications - one that is not covered by her insurance. It's not an expensive medication, but when you're broke, you're broke. 

A while ago my church gave me a gift of some money as thanks for editing worship videos and such. Every fiber of my body wanted not to accept the gift, but I've been working on accepting gifts with gratitude even when I don't feel like I should be the recipient of a gift when all I'm doing is sharing my gifts where they are needed. But I digress...

Having a little extra cash because of the gift has given me the freedom to use it to help others. A couple months ago it was helping a local single mom who was out of diapers for her infant and toddler. Thanks to a friend on facebook contacting me and my access to instacart, I was able to have diapers and some food sent to her door, including some treats for the kids. 

I was able to Venmo the aforementioned young woman what I hoped was enough to cover most of her medication cost. I messaged her and let her know the money had been sent. She said she couldn't accept. I told her she absolutely could, as I wouldn't let her go without her medication any more than I'd let my own transgender daughter go without her HRT. She again said she couldn't accept it. I told her not to make me use my mom voice. It took some convincing, but eventually she accepted and I later found out that she was able to get her medication. Why HRT isn't covered by all insurances, I have no idea. It's essential for so many.

This marvelous human being and I have a lot in common. Accepting monetary gifts is especially difficult. We are givers. Nevertheless, sometimes the givers need to receive with the same joy and gratitude we delight in seeing on others' faces. 

I told her not to worry about paying it back - or even about paying it forward, as she already does that every day in her interactions with others.

I write this not to brag about doing my good deeds for the day, but to encourage others in two things:

1. If you see an opportunity to help and can, then help. Even if just with a kind or empathetic word, do so.

2. If you are the recipient of good, accept with gratitude, knowing that in your receiving you are helping to make the giver's heart happy!



Comments

Popular Posts