[Adventure] in Editing and Experiencing


[Adventure 56]

I edit worship for our congregation every week. This means that I watch each individual part of worship at least once before adding it to the video project. Then I watch various parts of worship over and over as I edit in photos or special effects or text. I watch the entire worship service at least once before processing and then again after processing. 

I have to admit that there are weeks I watch the sermon, and weeks - usually the ones that time is limited due to technical difficulties - that I make sure there are no stops and starts to edit but don't actually listen to the sermon. 

Some Sunday mornings I just don't see the point in sitting through worship once again. After all, I've seen it multiple times. I'm usually one of the people who has recorded a hymn or three for the worship service and the occasional psalm or readings. 

Nevertheless, I sit at my computer and type my good morning to those joining us in online worship. I see familiar names and miss seeing their familiar faces. I see new names and rejoice, hoping that someday soon I'll get to meet these people in person. 

The experience of worship is vastly different from the experience of editing worship. It is in putting aside this time to take in the meaning of words sung and spoken; in joining together with others in this holy experience; in letting the sermon wash over my soul that worship happens.

In life, often when we do things alone - or feel alone when doing things - the impact is different from when we're able to do things in community with others. Experiencing things in bits and pieces differs greatly from experiencing them as a whole. Connecting pieces and people is an essential part of life. It is those connections that transform old into new, routine into adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts