[Seek] A Change of Pace


Spending the better part of my time in bed for the past week, exhausted without explanation, I needed a change of pace. Considering my pace as of late has been doing what's necessary and not much more, I thought perhaps finding something enjoyable and active might help boost my energy levels a bit, if it didn't kill me first.

So off we went on hike #2 of the year at White Memorial Conservation Center - Jim, Zephyr, Haley, Coren, and I. The 65 degree (F) weather not even midway through January seemed to beckon others to the trails as well. It was simply a beautiful day for a hike.


I was definitely unsure of how my body was going to do and how far I'd make it, but I wanted to try. However far I made it, it would be wonderful to spend time in nature with my family.


It had been years since we hiked down to the pool, usually taking the trail with a view from above. We've been to White Memorial many times, usually favoring the boardwalk or boulder field trails, but this time, the Plunge Pool trail was calling to me. It was a wonderful change of pace from our usual hikes. And it was absolutely stunning.


 At one point during the hike, I got a bit worried about my ability to make it back to the van. I'd tripped and wrecked my knee, so was in more pain than usually and relying more on my crutches to propel me. Flashing back for a moment to a previous hike that nearly killed me, I started to panic a bit. It took all that I had to keep moving and calm myself. Alia began having worsening joint issues shortly thereafter, and as I encouraged her, I was at the same time encouraging myself. 

Thank God it was downhill at the end. That was definitely my saving grace. I've rarely felt so relieved to climb into my van - or been so sweaty from a Winter hike! Taking my hiking shoes off and putting on my sandals never felt so good!

The following day it was time for another change of pace. I spent the day mostly in bed with ice on various parts of my body and heat on others. It may take a while for me to recover from the hike, but it was so worth it. The memories made, the photos taken, and the confidence gained are priceless.


Comments

Popular Posts