[moments] doing what we don't

[moment 97]

We don't go out to eat often, yet last week I found myself eating out a few times. 

On Sunday we went out to eat with my parents after church, sitting in a room at the restaurant that was empty except for us the majority of the time. I think a couple people may have been sitting in our general area, but even so, they were across the room.

On Thursday, my husband and I went on a double date with my parents.


Again, we sat in a corner away from other people. 

And I had also eaten out for lunch that day, arriving at the restaurant a few minutes after they opened and completing our meal before anyone was seated in our area.

We got food out again on Saturday, but due to the line to get into the restaurant, we ordered our food to go and ate safely in our van. 

It was a strange week for me. I ate out more in one week than I had in the previous two years. 

We live in a world that wants to get back to normal. That world seldom caters to immunocompromised people...but when we're blessed enough when it does, we seize the opportunity. 

There are things I do not do and places I do not go because they're not safe for me....places where people are free to not wear masks and sit or otherwise be right next to me; places that are too crowded; places that have not respected my need for distance if people aren't masked. I spend as little time in grocery and other stores as possible, doing most of my shopping online for delivery. I bank online whenever it's possible. I take my kids to aquariums and such, and spend a great amount of my time outside while they're exploring more crowded indoor spaces. 

We went to a mall when it wasn't at all busy so my kids could meet up and spend time with friends, and I spent my time wearing an N95 in wide open spaces rather than going into shops with more than a few people. 

That's just what I need to do in my immunocompromised state. 

Often well-meaning people invite me places where they think I'm safe. Sometimes these people have a difficult time understanding that some spaces or situations just are not safe for me. Especially when I talk about going out to eat or going to a museum or taking my kids to a mall. Every time I go out in public, I risk my health...which is why every time I go out in public, I plan what that's going to look like. I go when the restaurant is more likely to be less busy and I'm open to getting my food to go if necessary. We venture to science centers and other learning spaces during school hours. We rent private movie theaters where we can relax and enjoy.

Mostly I do my best to lower my personal risk as much as possible, balancing that with the few times I go out and do things for my own mental health. 


Comments

Popular Posts