a holy [moment]

[moment 104]

We settled into the church pew next to my parents. We had never been to this church, but my parents' church in Naugatuck, CT and this church in Waterbury, CT combined for this special Palm Sunday service. 

As we wended our way through the Passion of the Christ, we sang, prayed, and professed our way through the liturgy at the same time (but perhaps not in the usual order). The choir's anthems nourished my spirit. Being there, a part of the body of Christ, nourished my soul. 

When the two churches were discussing combining for this service, one pastor insisted that masks would be mandatory. Even though the other congregation had lifted its mask mandate, they graciously agreed to go back to masks for the Palm Sunday service. They provided masks for those who didn't have them and gently explained the change in policy for this worship service. 

As much as I missed spending Palm Sunday with everyone in my home congregation, it simply isn't safe for me to worship in a space where masks aren't required. It was wonderful to experience worship, so beautifully done, in relative safety and with people I love. 

Comments

Popular Posts