[Nevertheless] We're At War [Advent 1]

Wall hanging, Epoch Arts, East Hampton, CT

In so many places and situations in our lives, we're at war. We are at odds with other people, differing beliefs, lifestyles that seem to clash with our own. And we're at war with ourselves - our bodies, our minds, our emotions, the lives we wish we had vs. the lives we're living.

For years, I was at war with my malfuntioning body, my fading faith, with what I assumed others thought of me, and my perception of what my life should be. And then I stopped. I stopped caring what others thought. I stopped concentrating on what I couldn't do and instead began concentrating on what I could do. I let go of things that weren't serving me well, and grew in my involvement with things that feed my soul and help others.

On Fridays we gather to teach, to learn, and to be a community. Epoch Arts Homeschool Co-op isn't just a place our children go to hang out with friends and learn everything from Political Science to Theater to Woodworking, it's a place for adults to grow friendships and to support each other. We bring food to share. We bring supplies for the non-profit that houses us. We give rides, take care of each others' children, and share resources. Children and adults alike have open, honest conversations about differing views, choosing to listen and to learn rather than to ridicule and judge. 


My children do theater at Epoch Arts, as well. And go to dances, open mic nights, paint nights, and more. My older teens met their significant others there. Epoch Arts is a place they can be their true selves without worry. 

On Tuesdays we gather to share our stories, our faith, and a meal, and to build community. @ the table isn't just a place for our children to learn and grow in their faith- it is an opportunity for all to do so. 


@ the table is an inclusive intergenerational Christ-centered community where all are welcome to share our stories. We share the good and the challenging; faith-filled memories and times of doubt. We commune each other, bless each other, pray with and for each other. In doing these things we create community.

In a world that's so divided it's refreshing to have places where differing opinions are discussed, not debated; where differing perspectives are respected, not ridiculed; where we strive to learn from each other and about each other. It's comforting to spend time in spaces where all are welcome, really welcome; where we can be ourselves, especially when we don't quite know who we are yet. 

In a world that's so at war, why don't we choose what nourishes us and others, what challenges us to grow and learn and understand? Why not build community rather than walls by choosing a path that seeks justice, love, and peace?

Comments

Popular Posts