[Nevertheless] It's the Little Things [Advent 4]


We went to PA to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family. 

Exhausted after driving all night, I swiftly drifted off to sleep on the couch soon after our arrival. A three-hour nap later, and it was time to do more unpacking and organizing, play a few games with the  kids, and have some lunch. The rest of the day was filled with playing, baking, and catching up with family.

Only there for three days, we packed as much as possible into that time. My father-in-law blessed us with fixes to our van. We picked up bulk gluten-free flours and assorted other items from the Mennonite store. We bought items to stock our pantry at home at the discount grocery store. We made and ate good food, played myriad games of Quirkle and Skip Bo and Five Crowns, and went to see the Lights at Lakemont Park. We watched holiday movies. 

We went home with a better-functioning vehicle, more food than we arrived with, and wonderful memories of time well spent. 

Some of the best moments for me, though, were the little things. The times my husband would just stop what he was doing and hug me. When a child would cuddle up with me on the couch while I iced my back for no apparent reason other than to snuggle. And when I had a piece of pumpkin pie cake and a cup of hot coffee for breakfast because it was the day after Thanksgiving and it just seemed like a good idea.

Amidst the hustle and bustle this Advent, I hope to revel in the quiet moments, the little blessings, the love.





Comments

Popular Posts