[a moment] of concern

[moment 271]

I volunteer with a refugee resettlement ministry and do the job that frankly no one else wants to do - I help the family apply for benefits. This process involves me filling out an application and submitting a ton and a half of paperwork on behalf of the family - after they sign the appropriate paperwork to allow me to do so. Then I make multiple phone calls to the Department of Social Services in order to sort things out. I've been on hold for over two hours. I've been on hold for an hour and a half and had the system hang up on me. Thankfully now you can have them call you back when it's your turn - that is, unless they transfer you to someone who is busy and then you can drive all the way from Bristol, CT to Waterbury, CT while on hold and still not end up talking to anyone. 

Recently I was handed mail from DSS, and there was great concern surrounding it. The interview due date to receive benefits had already passed when the mail was received. Questions abounded and concerns that it was too late and they wouldn't be receiving benefits were at the forefront. I told them not to worry - I'd sort it out and everything would be fine. After all, DSS wouldn't be able to hold it against us since the due date of the interview was the date the paperwork was printed, and therefore several days before we would or could receive the paperwork. Due dates are generated by application dates, it seems, not by when the application gets processed. 

A miracle did happen when I called DSS to sort things out - I talked to a human being right away. That human being transferred me to another human being who also spoke to me right away. Realizing they weren't the person equipped to handle the refugee situation, they sent a request for a call back to the appropriate person. I'm not sure when I'll get that call (supposedly within 24 hours), so we'll see how that goes. I'm not too concerned, as they now have record of me calling as soon as possible after receiving the interview notification in the mail. 


Comments

  1. Oh man I hate when i get hung up on. I get so damn upset. No wonder i take pills.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts