[a moment] with Virginia

 

[Warning: this post may not be appropriate for people not comfortable with actual words for actual body parts or talking about "health treatments" for certain "sensitive" body parts.]

[moment 36]

Our family is not normal, nor are the conversations we have. 

Onyx - almost fourteen years old - and I were recently in conversation with a book club group and the author of the book. In the book, there is some "more mature" material, but nothing that I wouldn't let my precocious and not at all sheltered child read or discuss. At the end of the zoom session, the author suggested my teen (the only child present) plug their ears and mentioned the text on his mug, which is something mentioned in the book.

I found it amusing that my child, who is reading the book, should plug their ears as to not hear the words they'd soon be reading: vaginal steaming. Of course, as the person I am, I didn't want my child to have questions about vaginal steaming, so we googled it. It's really nothing I'd be uncomfortable discussing with my teen, who has explored topics including addiction, human trafficking, homelessness, all things lgbtqia+ (including gender affirming surgeries), and has volunteered in refugee resettlement since they were eight years old. 

The "people also ask" section, however, had us rolling on my bed with laughter. 


Virginia. 

Once we recovered, I got up to move on with my day and complained that my uterus was trying to kill me. Onyx asked if I was sure it wasn't my Virginia. I told them that my Virginia was just an innocent bystander, to which Onyx replied something about my Utah definitely being the culprit. 

I love this child and our shared sense of humor...and wordplay.

I'm wondering if my Utah issues are due to my Connecticut tissue disorder, but that's another story. 




[Now go read I Take My Coffee Black by Tyler Merritt!]

Comments

Popular Posts