[a moment] with a spatula

[moment 48]

I recently took three of my children for their covid-19 boosters. 

I was in the middle of a project when my child asked if we were leaving. I grabbed my purse and shoes and we were out the door. We arrived promptly at our scheduled time - without their vaccine cards. We checked in, mentioned our predicament, and were assured they'd hold the appointments. 

Back in the van, back home, two kids ran into the house to retrieve the cards. Upon their return, we were quickly on our way back. 

Vaccines received the kids had to sit for fifteen minutes before we could leave. As they sat ... or attempted to, in Onyx's case ... I realized that I was ok. 

What's remarkable about that is that I have OCD. Part of my OCD is playing things I could have done better over and over in my head, but this wasn't what I was experiencing. I was in the moment with my kids, not beating myself up for forgetting the cards or being embarrassed at all about it. When I found we didn't have the cards, I simply made sure we could run home and get them and try again. And we did. And it was ok. I was ok. 

I had a similar experience when I took my youngest child to a rehearsal only to discover that rehearsals didn't start until the next week. Onyx didn't mind too much, mostly because it was funny and we got to go thrift shopping and there was a green spatula in the middle of the road. 

Comments

Popular Posts