[a moment] to observe

 

[moment 37]

My kids wanted to play a game and invited me to join in. I gladly accepted the invitation, as I enjoy spending time with my kids and playing games. 

Four children and I gathered at the table and discussions about games to play ensued. Monopoly was decided upon, and then the discussion of which version of Monopoly to play began. Animal Crossing Monopoly was finally chosen, but then it was discovered that it's a four player game and there were five of us. 

Having no idea how to play this particular version with its unique rules, I volunteered to observe. Various children offered to let me play, but I declined, explaining that just sitting and watching the fun was fine with me - it was the time spent together, not the time spent playing that was important to me. Then it was determined I could be the banker, so they felt better about me not playing. 

I love it that my teen and young adult children want to include me and spend time with me. And I enjoy watching them interact with each other - laughing, bickering, encouraging, and expressing their frustrations as they navigate a gameboard or the difficulties in life. 

Comments

Popular Posts