Uke [Adventure]

 


[Adventure 16]

I hadn't played a musical instrument in years other than plunking out a few notes on the piano once in a while as part of the process of learning a hymn to record in church. Then my youngest suggested that I should learn to play the ukulele. 

On a thrift store website, I discovered ukuleles up for bid and bid on one. I decided to go for a baritone ukulele, since it's bigger and my arthritic hands might not be able to manage a smaller instrument. Upon strumming my first few chords, I was hooked - both on playing the ukulele and scanning thrift store auctions for them. I soon acquired a tenor ukulele as well, and scored a soprano ukulele for my youngest and a concert ukulele for my middle child to give as Christmas gifts from their paternal grandparents. 

My youngest soon talked her father into learning ukulele as well, and I won a tenor ukulele auction for his. Alia has since acquired a concert size ukulele, feeding my online thrift auction addiction once more. Oh, and there's the pineapple soprano that somehow found its way into my collection as well. Now the only size I don't possess is a concert. 

I have since learned a decent amount about playing the ukulele and the many different types and brands of ukulele in existence. I've also learned that something I didn't think I can do because I have mobility issues has turned into something that's helping with my mobility in my hands. I'm not good a songs with quick chord changes, but I'm getting better. I've found a website with thousands of songs that allows me to change the key so that I can play chords that are physically easier to play. I'm really enjoying the adventure of playing and learning something new. 

Now to find a concert uke...

Comments

Popular Posts