[Adventure] In Being Alone

[Adventure 27]

During the last year, due to the pandemic, there is one thing I haven't been - alone.  Living in a house with (at least) six other human beings who do not often leave the house does not provide for much solitude. Not having a room to which I can escape, close the door, and hang a do not disturb sign means that alone usually doesn't happen for me. My bed is in our living room, as the children inhabit the three bedrooms (and it works out better for me to be closer to the bathroom and kitchen and not have to deal with stairs on my bad days). And we only have one bathroom, so it would be rude for me to lock myself in there! 

But the other day I found myself alone. I drove my daughter and her boyfriend to boyfriend's house to deliver the wardrobe (piece of furniture, not a bunch of clothing) we'd purchased at Ikea and to drop them off as well. This meant I was alone in my van for the entire forty-five minute drive home. 

It dawned on me about two minutes into my drive that I was alone for the first time in ages. That I could listen to anything I wanted to as loud as I wanted to. Or not. I could sit in relative silence - no one asking me anything, telling me about anything, or needing anything from me. Even more, I was not responsible for anyone but myself for those forty-five minutes. 

And for nearly an hour all I needed to think about was driving. I didn't need to think about dishes or laundry or what I could make for dinner that the majority of the people in my house would eat. I didn't have to take others into consideration, didn't have to worry about whether or not everyone had what they needed. I could stop for a macchiato or some fries if I wanted (but in this instance I was plenty caffeinated and dinner was waiting for me at home). I could run an errand or two (but I didn't want to). I could take the scenic route. I could have any number of adventures or none at all. The possibilities were endless and the quietness was precious.

It was bliss. 

The next time you're alone, take in the serenity, the freedom, and the possibilities for great adventure. 

Comments

Popular Posts