Not the [Adventure] We Want

[Adventure 8]

I don't know what's going on in the world right now. The chaos of the past few days is really catching up with me. I feel deep sadness for this country. For the world. For children growing up in this culture of not caring for your fellow human beings; of believing what you're fed by people in perceived positions of power; of the example of violence and hate being the answer to having a difference of opinion; of white privilege and inequality; of "Christians" preaching hate and intolerance; of injustice for just about anyone not white, cisgender, and straight. 

Domestic terrorists should not be called protestors. And protestors, namely people of color who are protesting, should not be treated as terrorists. There is no equality here. 

This is not the adventure we want in 2021. But maybe it's the adventure we need...

I don't know what's going on in the world right now. I feel joy for the world and the diverse people who inhabit it. Every day I see people spurred by world events to come together in support of each other because of their differences, not in spite of them - people building communities of likeminded human beings who love and uplift each other; people who follow Jesus by loving one another, no exceptions; people who advocate for those who find it difficult to advocate for themselves; people who stand up to injustices; people who do all the difficult things, together. 

I am thankful. I am thankful that injustices are being named, those that commit them are being called out, and that people's eyes are being opened to the racism, transphobia, homophobia, ableism, and all inequality and discrimination in this world. It is only through being vividly aware of these issues that more feel moved to do something about them. I am thankful for those calling us out of our complacency, into action. 

I pray that change is coming. 

I pray that that change looks like love, equality, justice, compassion. I pray that change feels like safety, support, the ability to go to school or work or to drive your car or to walk down the street or wear a head covering or simply exist in this world without fear. 

Comments

Popular Posts