[Seek]ing Christmas

[Advent 3]

There is something about low budget, or corny, or overly cheesy Christmas movies that gives me great joy any time of year. 

When I'm having an especially pain-riddled or exhaustion filled day, curling up in bed watching a winter holiday-themed movie distracts and entertains me. It's all the better if the experiences is accompanied by hot chocolate or a pumpkin spice macchiato. 

Christmas movies and music evoke, for me, a sense of comfort, love, and wellbeing...of childhood days wrapped in an afghan that my mother made, curled up on the floor in front of my grandparents' TV on a Saturday night or on my couch at home during Christmas vacation, not a worry in the world. They embody a coziness that is only achieved by a child in footie pajamas who is looking forward with hope and joy to the excitement and anticipation of Christmas Eve and the palpable love of family and friends who gather to celebrate.

This year I never stopped watching Christmas movies. As quarantide wore on and opportunities to go out and do good diminished along with my capability to do them, my holiday-themed movie watching increased exponentially. Whatever online streaming service or video platform to which I subscribe now suggests mainly holiday selections. And that's ok. 

Whatever that Christmas-like thing is for you - whatever your sanctuary from the stresses of life (one that is good for you!) - seek solace and comfort there when you need to. Recharge your emotional and physical batteries. Take care of yourself during this holiday season that looks and feels different. 

Comments

Popular Posts