[Seek] Boundaries

[Advent 7]

Some people would cross that bridge. Others would refuse. Both options are ok.

"I'm sorry. I can't." Those words have come out of my mouth more and more lately. And that's OK. In order to keep myself and my family safe, there are some bridges I just can't cross - ones I might have risked in the past, but have become too dangerous with the wear and tear of a pandemic. 

We can't go to worship in our church building on Sunday mornings right now. We couldn't go to Pennsylvania to visit my husband's family for Thanksgiving. I can't manage to walk much these days nevermind hike. I can't do most of the cleaning, cooking, errand running, and organizing anymore. Especially the errands. 

I can't be around people that aren't in my "bubble." My children need to be careful as well. It breaks my heart to tell them they can't go to a friend's house for a meal or to a restaurant for their friend's birthday. I don't like that I have to ask if the child's friend goes to school before giving permission just to get together, even socially distanced. It's sad that I can't and frustrating that I shouldn't have to trust my kids' friends to keep their masks on and their hands to themselves and to socially distance. 

Nevertheless, I need to set boundaries to keep my family safe and myself alive. I need to say no to doing things with other people for now. I need to slow down and let go of some things that sap my energy rather than energizing me. And that's OK.

Setting boundaries is important for everyone. Self-care is essential, especially these days with pandemic affecting every area of our lives. So when someone says to you, "sorry, I can't," respect their answer. And don't be afraid to say that yourself when you need to.

Everything looks different this Advent. Even as we set boundaries to keep ourselves and our families safe and sane, we can find new ways to reach out, new ways to connect, new ways to do what we love. 


Comments

Popular Posts