[Seek] Peace When Misunderstood

[Lent 5]

A big dark-colored van pulled quickly over to the side of the road and rolled down the passenger window. The person inside beckoned to the youth walking down the sidewalk. After a moment, the side door of the van opened and the youth climbed in. The van drove off quickly.

This scenario was described with great concern by the customer behind me in the line at the grocery store. She wondered if she should have done something, but she was so flustered at the time, she didn't even get the license plate number. Chuckling a bit, I admitted to them that the driver of the van was me. My teens had seen a friend walking to theater rehearsal and asked if we could pick him up and drive him - as we had many times with many friends.

A woman pulled into an accessible parking space, hung her handicapped tag from her rear view mirror, and walked toward the back of her van. She paused for a moment, then continued walking into the store. 

Done shopping, she pushed her cart to her car, where a stranger stopped her and berated her for using a handicapped tag and taking up a handicapped space since she quite obviously wasn't handicapped. 


I had to explain to this person that, although I wasn't using my crutches or wheelchair at the moment, I am, in fact, in need of using an accessible space. Between the severe joint pain, the possibility of subluxation or dislocation of multiple joints, and the extreme exhaustion associated with my multiple chronic illnesses, parking close to the entrance of the store or office is a necessity.


There are many times when people make wrong assumptions, assuming the worst of others. Of me. Of you. Of us. I seek the peace of grace and love in these situations, assuming genuine concern for others. 

Comments

Popular Posts