[Seek] Peace, It's Contagious


[Lent 23]

We came across this rock on a recent hike and it got me thinking.

Kindness is contagious. 


As simple as sharing a smile with someone can brighten their day, make them smile, and often they'll share their smile with someone else. One kind deed done for someone can lead them to spread kindness to someone else.

Years ago, my first three children infant and toddlers, I was at a playgroup at a friend's house. Sitting on a couch, chatting with a few fellow moms while I nursed three month old Haley, I was keeping an ear open for Zephyr and Alex who were upstairs playing with their friends. Alex sprinted downstairs to ask a very important question and ended up tumbling down half the staircase. Unlatching Haley, but staying seated, I waited a moment to see how Alex reacted to the fall. Much to my friends' concern, I didn't rush over and scoop him up and check him over to make sure he was ok. I didn't panic. I took a breath, observed the situation, and said to him something along the lines of , "Wow! That was quite the tumble!" in an amazed, not concerned, voice. He stood up, dusted himself off, and heartily agreed with my assessment. No tears. No drama. My peace helped him to regain peace, allowed time for him to evaluate how he fared, and to not panic. Then I could look him over, ask him calmly if anything hurt, and then grant the snack request that was first and foremost on his mind.

In the same way that kindness is contagious, peace is contagious as well.

Constant assault with messages of panic and despair creates more panic, more chaos, and puts more people in danger. People swarm to scoop up things that they perceive will keep themselves safe, creating a shortage for people including first responders and those caring for the sick - as well as those most at risk of getting ill. This puts more people in harms way.

Instead of panic, I'm choosing peace. I'm keeping informed without reading and watching and listening to everything associated with covid-19. I'm doing my best to take things as they happen, not giving in to the what-ifs. I'm being as prepared as I can be for what is to come without putting others or myself in harm's way. 


If I panic, those around me will panic. My children don't need that stress. Neither does my husband. As our world tumbles down the stairs, I cannot know the damage until we land. Even and especially then, peace will be of more help than panic. For my sake, and for the sake of others, I seek peace - it's contagious.

Comments

Popular Posts